Sunday, June 14, 2015

Traveling with 2 under 10

I know, I know... Doesn't sound as accomplished as some out there, but I will wiring this throughout my trip up north (as we southerners says).

So, a little background, I have an 8 year old girl and a 3 year old boy.  My hubby is stationed in DC, and we don't live with him, at the moment.

Just a side note, I can't stand when people assume that we are getting divorced.  We aren't, not that it is anyone's business by my husband's and my own.  Sometimes military families have to be separated, whether voluntarily or not.  Our's was voluntary, but it doesn't make it any easier.

Okay, so back to my journey.  The kids and I are going to spend some time up north with family for the summer.  I used to spend my summers along Lake Michigan at our family summer home.  It is still a magical place to me.  Where else do you have gorgeous beaches, along a freshwater lake that seems as big as an ocean... Well, you can't see across it anyway.  

Now, it is a bit different, because we are on a different lake, although it does feed into "the Lake" (Lake Michigan).  Now I can see across my lake, but that's okay.  I still love being there.

So, I'm sure in the next few days, I will become more and more stressed, as I realize there is WAY more than I thought I had to do to get ready.  But we will be fine... At least, that is what I am telling myself!

So I started this post before we left.  And you know what?  We made it... in one piece... and without too much angst.

Seriously, my kids turned into angels in the car... okay, angels is going a bit far.  But my 3 year old, who is a handful and all boy, actually didn't do too badly in the car.

Both kids had a DVD player, and watched them, with head phones!  Unheard of!  

The first day we drove for only about 5-6 hours.  Not too bad.  And I took the kids to the pool when we got to our hotel.  The second day was a long day, but it went quickly.  And we stopped at my Aunt's house in Cincinnati.  We spent 1 day and 2 nights there.  It was a great break.

And we arrived in Michigan, in one piece, without being too angry at each other.  Now the kids are enjoying the lawn, the lake and fishing.  We plan to visit the beach, hang out with our cousins, visiting all sorts of tourist places, and just plain relaxing.

Let the summer begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment