Thursday, September 27, 2012

Where are the parents?

A lot has happened within my family alone, this week.  My poor neice finally opened up to my sister that a girl at her school has been bullying her.  I know my neice means well, but sometimes she can be bossy.  BUT, that doesn't open the door for any one to bully her, let alone anyone else for that matter.  I'm passionate about this, because I've seen too much hurt from being bullied, in my own life and in the life of others.  I know schools are changing their policies on this issue, but how can we as parents, if you are a parent, stop this?  I know I step up on my soap box often, and usually I don't judge other people's parenting, HOWEVER, there needs to be something done about this. 

It drives me crazy that you need a license or schooling or education to do just about anything these days, EXCEPT be a parent.  Or should I say, have a child.  I know it's horrible to say that, because there are so many good parents out there that do care how their children act in public and towards others.  But until we stop sensationalizing teenage pregnancy, and also educate others on what it truly means to be a parent, we won't be stopping this epidemic. 

My heart broke when I found out what happened.  I knew that my neice didn't have a lot of friends at school, but it also doesn't mean that she deserves what she has been getting.  I literally was in tears for most of the day.  I wanted SO badly to fly/drive/get up to her (I live in NOLA and they live in Chicago) as soon as I could and fight the fight for her.  And she isn't even my child.  The mama bear in me came out. 

There are few issues that I am SUPER passionate about, and bullying happens to be one of them.  bullying leads to a lot of things... and I know, hurt people, hurt people.  And that those bullies do have bigger issues, but how can we help?  How can we as parents, aunts, sisters, brothers, moms, dads, uncles, grandparents, help to stop this?  Think about it.... 

A friend of mine, who happens to be on Facebook, but I do know this person in real life too, just posted about how some kids in her neighborhood were litering and she chased them down, because they happened to throw their trash in her kids playhouse. And she gave them a piece of her mind.  What really shocked and saddened me was when others started posting about other teens and pre-teens in their neighborhoods questionning authority and adults.  Now don't get me wrong, I do want my children to question the world around them, BUT my hubby and I are SUPER strict about respecting authority, adults and each other.  We are fighting the good battle with our daughter, right now, because she does question us.  I don't think she means to do it to be naughty or that she thinks she's above us, but she's a curious child.  What I get SO frustrated with is the lack of manners that kids have... and that all boils down to parenting, just like bullying does.  I know I know, bullies do have issues in their lives, but where are their parents?  Come out come out...  teach your kids to be productive (key word there) members of society.  You'd be amazed what my 5 year old already knows and has known for several years now.

I'm sorry for rambling about this, but it just hit a chord with me...  Bullies need to be stopped and parents need to parent and be their children's friends.  I love my kids, but I also want my kids to grow up confident people who have respect, manners and common sense.  In other words, good people.  I know other parents out there want the same, so start parenting.  Okay, stepping off my soapbox for now...  and thank you for reading this if you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment